11.19.2008

Going Home

My sister and I are going home to Jesup for the next several days...


Today at 4 p.m my Uncle Otis passed away. He has been suffering from cancer for about 5 years now. He and my dad have been roommates for about the same time and so my dad has been there to help him, but the cancer came back and wrapped around his spine and paralyzed him. We found out that the tumors had spread to other parts of his body, the brain being one of those spots, and he has been in pain for a long time. He was on morphine, but for awhile it wasn't doing much for the pain. The past few months he has progressively gotten worse and we had several scares that we thought he would leave us. He wouldn't talk, hardly ate or drank and weighed a mere 70 pounds by the end. I am grateful for my father and his great example. He was my Uncle's 24/7 nurse and never once did he complain. He is a true hero. A true server of God and I am proud to call him my dad!

My Uncle was a great man. Very quiet, but giving in many ways. My senior year of High School I moved down to Jesup where my family is from and he would come take me fishing, taught me how to survive the swamps should I ever need that, saw some small gators while in the boat, showed me all types of wild life that is usually over looked because of our day to day busyness, bought me a Walkman because he knew I liked being alone and walking or sitting on the dock with my feet in the water and showed me much needed kindness during the hard times I was facing at that time in my life. There are countless stories that could be shared about the man we all loved. I love him and am glad that we are family and that one day I will be able to see him again in a perfect, healthy and pain free body!He is the one in the blue and white polo and hawaiian print hat!

3 comments:

Birdie said...

I'm so sorry. It's hard to lose someone close. My thoughts are with you and yours.

danakat said...

Oh Sharon, I'm so sorry for your loss. But like we talked about yesterday, he's been suffering for so long...what a sweet release for him finally.
Your dad has been amazing. I know he'll be so happy to see you and Michelle.
Please let me know how I can help with the kids. My offer still stands from what we discussed yesterday.

Dawn, said...

What a blessing for HIM to be rid of his earthly woes, but my heart is with you and your family that had to part with him for awhile. I loved reading your testimony of seeing him again, so beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...