1.12.2010

The Great Unknown

As a child I had always secretly dreamed of traveling the world. I had visions of Kangaroos in the outback, English cottages and the Eiffel Tower in my head. Of course, I never admitted it to many because...well I actually just keep a lot to myself, but also because I have always been a little afraid to go outside of my own country and who really likes to admit their fears? It is after all the UNKNOWN (insert villainous laughter).

I do not like the unknown.

For instance, one night as I lay looking at the stars with my future husband, it HIT me...I am going to be married. SOON! Then I thought of how I could break it off after all I had no idea where my life would really go with him. Then I somehow managed to calm down and well the rest is history...he got me! :)

Then there was the time after I had my first child and just before I was about to be discharged from the hospital I realized that I really had NO idea how to take care of a baby! I made it through. As for Chad...well that is debatable. ;)

So, you kinda get the picture, right? Well doing this MBA is in a way traveling the unknown for me because it means a job change and this time the sky is the limit. We could either stay here, move out of state or move out of the COUNTRY. EEEK! Not that I don't like some adventure, but I like to plan ahead, gear my mind up for what is coming so I can play it cool and know how I am going to deal with it. But I have decided that this is something for my husband and I am going to support him no matter what because I know that he would do the same for me. So, even though it is hard and frustrating at times for me I try to think happy thoughts of a pretty English cottage waiting for me to rent it or some awesome French home with it's old stone walls waiting for my furniture to grace its halls. Think  Architecture, Interior Design positive, must think positive! :)

Tyson has wanted to travel the world as well and has been quite open about it, but I have been reserved and reminding him that the money we would spend on travel could be used else where...like a new couch, table and chairs, more landscaping. But to Tyson that was stuff that could wait. "Seeing the world will broaden your horizons and give you a new perspective on life and a better appreciation for your country". So this year with his school they have the opportunity to go international for some more training and he is very psyched about it. They are traveling to Sao Paulo, Brazil. And I am going with him. It is to celebrate our 12 years of marriage as well as get me out of the country to see the BIG world! We are also going with his parents. His dad served a mission for our church there and is really excited to get this opportunity to go back. It will be nice for me to have traveling buddies seeing as Tyson has to stay an extra week and to have someone who speaks the language with us.

I am going to look at "The Great Unknown" as an adventure rather than something to be afraid of.  Like Bilbo so wisely said “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” And I am sure this is just the beginning of many more adventures for us! :-)

9 comments:

Sara said...

I'm so jealous/excited that you are going to Brazil in March! And although I know there is chance you could be moving in the near future, I really, really hope you will be sticking around.

Shannon Carlson said...

The great unknown really isn't as scary once you get there... I am totally jealous of you! you are going to have an AWESOME time in Brazil.

Karen said...

I would love to be able to travel the world. I only worry about the food. Seriously there are places in the world that eat gross things. I am excited for your trip. It is going to be fantastic. Have fun on your adventure.

Organized Nutrition said...

That is so exciting! I can't wait to read all about it!!!!!

Amy B. said...

Have a told you lately that your awesome! Love ya Sharon!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Oh, Sharon, I am so happy for you. I think Brazil sounds like a really incredible place to go. And with people who know the country, too! I can't wait to hear about your trip . . . and think of all the fun you will have planning it!

kellibattraw said...

How exciting Sharon! I'll look forward to many awesome pictures. :)

Wendyrful said...

That is so exciting! Remember... deep slow breaths, and you can do anything you put your mind to! You will have a blast! what a fun opportunity! Enjoy!!!!!

Wendyrful said...

That is so exciting! Remember... deep slow breaths, and you can do anything you put your mind to! You will have a blast! what a fun opportunity! Enjoy!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...