3.20.2010

Ola From Sao Paulo

 After hrs. of cleaning, getting things in order, going through security, customs, baggage claim and 12 hrs. of flight, we are HERE in Sao Paulo!!! We have also had quite the adventure renting a car and driving to our Hotel. Let's just say I have a greater appreciation for the USA's rules and regulations for driving because pedestrians have no right of way here and people are FAST with one way, small laned cobblestone (makes for a bumpy ride) roads!

We have used the metro (subway system) and ended up on it at one time during rush hour. It has been hot and humid (a lot like home) and there was a lot of BO going on, but so far I LOVE it here! The people are quieter than we are, keep to themselves, but are friendly for the most part. I didn't really feel a huge cultural shock until I emerged from the metro into the heart of the city and it was way different for many reasons. One being that there are a ton of awesome old buildings mixed with modern and quickly built buildings that are so close to each other that some buildings windows are blocked from great city views. Two, there are a TON of people from all over the world here! I thought that we would stick out like a soar thumb, but have felt like we blend into the melting pot for the most part other than the small fact, that indeed gives us away, we don't speak Portuguese (Port-oo-gays). I braved ordering some food for Tyson and myself and was doing great pronouncing things until the lady said that she didn't have what I was looking for and proceeded to list off 10 other options! I think I did the deer-in-the-headlights look, but she kept trying to get me to understand her quick speaking. The ONLY word that a woman should I understood was chocolate (shock-o-lah-chee). So, with Tyson's dad's help I was able to understand what those options were and finally make the choice, and of course it was chocolate. ;) At least I am braving it and I have to say that I am learning words and phrases quite a bit more than I thought I would. And the last reason I am in LOVE with the area so far is that although it is a HUGE city (20-30 million people) and that it is fast paced in traffic, the people are very laid back. They enjoy life. As we walked we saw people sitting back enjoying food or drinks while a band sang or a man did some magic tricks. They all stood around socializing and enjoying the nice day. Something I think we Americans could do a bit more of. I think it is easy to get caught up in the fast track of life and not enjoy the simple things. Of course having an awesome Bakery with a live band wouldn't hurt either.

So, yes I am very grateful for the opportunity to see another culture. To be able to sit back and observe and see how alike we all are and enjoy the differences that we might have. Due to the slow manner of my Internet, I will be waiting to post pictures until I either can get a faster connection or until I get back home. Farewell in Portuguese, Ciao!

7 comments:

Karen said...

Have fun! You are so lucky and I must say brave.

shari said...

So glad you are having a good time. I hope you are not contributing to the BO problem. Lol!

Sara said...

Sounds crazy (in a good way)! I'm glad you decided to take your camera so you can post lots of pics when you get home. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Sarah (and a few others) said...

I want pictures!!!
What a cool trip. I'm so glad ya'll made this happen.

kg said...

Can't wait to hear and see all about it Sharon!! So fun you get to go, what a great experience!!

Shawn Anderson said...

I can't wait to hear all about it and see pictures. The Dominicans would sit back and eat, talk, and listen to music too. I agree we could do more of that...like you said the bakery with a band wouldn't hurt either!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Hooray for your trip! I can't wait to hear more about it! Eat lots of chocolate for me. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...